Between 1956 and 1980, unbeknown to the rest of the world, the Russians incorporated mental imagery training into their gymnasts' physical training; resulting in improved performance. Specifically, there is a well-known study where Russian scientists compared four groups of their Olympic athletes in relation to their training schedules:
- Group 1 = 100% physical training;
- Group 2 - 75% physical training with 25% mental training;
- Group 3 - 50% physical training with 50% mental training; and,
- Group 4 - 25% physical training with 75% mental training.
With 75% of their time devoted to mental training, Group 4 performed the best. The Russian scientists discovered mental images can act as a prelude to muscular impulses.
WOW! I knew visualization techniques were used in sports psychology to enhance athletes’ performances, but was not familiar with this data. As I look for proven strategies to aid me in my current “walk,” I have learned more about “Creative Visualization.” I like the idea of affecting the (or should I say my) outer world by using my imagination; visualizing specific behaviors or events in my life, changing my thoughts for the better. When “visualizing,” it goes beyond what you see or imagine. What do you feel? What do smell, what do you hear? I completely understand and appreciate the value in Creative Visualization for physical activities. For example, in sports, a golfer may visualize the "perfect" stroke over and over again to mentally train muscle memory. I want to visualize the “perfect” job for me; the “perfect” significant other; or fundamental basics of how and what I think proactively and reactively so my actions and words are consistently aligned in all that I do (sound kind of ‘fluffy?’).
Visualization practices are a common form of spiritual exercise, especially in esoteric traditions and some Eastern religions. Regardless of your spiritual or religious beliefs or cultural background, many people across the globe have heard of concepts like “positive thinking” and “affirmations.” These concepts have grown increasingly popular due to Rhonda Byrne's The Secret and The Law of Attraction series by Esther Hicks and Jerry Hicks. Another household name over the last decade, Anthony Robbins, popularized affirmations referring to them as "neuro- linguistic programming" (NLP).
So, as I consider all the areas where positive thinking will aid my current state in life, I truly do embrace the notion my thoughts can be solidified by affirmations, resulting in my success. In an attempt to format and initiate effective affirmations, I thought I’d leverage the blogging journey to write down a few that I plan to repeat and visualize frequently, as I fine tune Creative Visualization for myself:
- I am open and willing to attract all I desire being here and now.
- I have the perfect job for me; wonderful and satisfying.
- The right circumstance and right people are already here and will show up on time.
- As I un-clutter my life, I free myself to answer the callings of my soul.
- I am healthy and fit, with my body functioning in the right way.
- I have the ability to accomplish any task I set my mind to do with ease and comfort.
- Being me involves no risks. It is my ultimate truth and I live fearlessly.
- I have infinite patience when it comes to fulfilling my own destiny.
- I would rather be loathed for who I am than loved for whom I am not.
- I am an infinite being. The age of my body has no bearing of what I do or what I am.
- I live in the present moment, feeling, hearing, tasting, and smelling the details.
- I accomplish anything I put my mind to because I know I am never alone.
- My body has an athletic form and is the right and healthy weight.
**********
Very thoughtfull post on creative visualization.It should be very much helpfull
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Karim - Creating Power