If I lived in ancient Rome, I surely lived in a luxurious home where we circulated aqueduct water through our home’s walls. If I lived in China during the Tang Dynasty, I’d have spent all my time in the imperial palace’s “Cool Hall” enjoying the water-powered fan wheels while watching the rising jet streams of water from beautiful fountains. If I lived in medieval Persia, I’d have lived in a building that used a cistem and wind tower.
Centuries later, the likes of Dr. John Gorrie, Stuart W. Cramer, Willis Haviland Carrier, and others helped create the world we live in today. The "air conditioning" technology and uses have evolved over the last 100 years or so. Judge me if you must, but air conditioning is in my top-five favorite of all important inventions.
I am not going to bore you with stories about a young child spending summers in Phoenix, riding around in a car with her cousins with vinyl seats, that didn’t have air conditioning (or seat belts - the horror). Or a story about living in a multi-level California home, built like a sieve, with all day, western exposure, vaulted ceilings, and no air conditioning (that would be a balmy 95 degrees on the main floor at 10pm all summer long - note the bedrooms were upstairs with, did I mention - vaulted ceilings). Instead, simply know I love Planet Earth, want to be energy efficient, and so on….with air conditioning as an active part of my environment.
So, here, here to the evolution of the technology and industry as it strives to find ways to be more energy efficient, reduce carbon footprints, and be Earth-friendly. Just please, please, please don’t take my AC away.
No comments:
Post a Comment