It is not uncommon that I have to occasionally ask Elijah to step back from the television. This is an interesting phenomenon with children. I remember as a young child standing in front of the television when the football game was on. It was easier for me to see where the ball was. But, that was really the only time I recall standing in front of the TV; otherwise, I couldn’t actually see the whole TV screen.
There are certain things we cannot truly see or appreciate, unless there is distance. There are many things in life, tangible and intangible, that absolutely, undoubtedly must have distance. The most prominent image that comes to mind is the Earth and satellites. It is no coincidence that the military uses this strategy to more effectively zero in on a detail; or, the scientists who study the ocean and the atmosphere from a distance as well as up close; or, the art lover who stares at a portrait from a distance. I suspect the view of a full moon in the dark sky would not look the same from my backyard versus a space shuttle.
Distance helps the viewer see the complete picture. Too many times in relationships we get stuck in the details of the moment, or the emotion of the situation. This is not bad; however, if you’re never pulling up, stepping back, or creating occasional distance, it is more than likely you will not see the complete picture. As an adult, if I simply stared at the football during the game, I’d miss the flags, the hits, and other things that ultimately influence the entire game in that moment as well as the final outcome.
I am human; I can and have been caught up in the emotion or the details, even when I didn’t think I was caught up. The last few years, I have taken heed to this realization more than ever before. As many of my loved ones know, my move to California was invaluable personally and professionally. Based a variety of things that were evolving in my personal life, the move to California was needed; it created “distance.” The distance highlighted distinctions that were not emotionally or visually visible while in “it.”
It is also not a coincidence that “hind sight is 20/20” is a very common phrase people may use in their personal and professional lives. Many times, it is “after the fact” that all the details, the facts, the big picture is visible. Here’s another common phrase – “If I knew then, what I know now…”
When you stand too close to anything…it begins to blur. There is value in the distinctions. You need the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment