Sometimes we know when we’re making a mistake; sometimes we don’t. In fact, you may learn of a mistake after the fact, or never at all.
In four and half years, motherhood has offered a plethora of opportunities. Yes, some mistakes have occurred along the way – some I am aware of, some I am sure I don’t know about out of ignorance. The one mistake I try not to make every day, every week, and every month, is not living in the moment. Living in the moment can be tough.
One of the silver linings from my lay off is I am not in such a hurry to get to the next thing: morning routine, to school on time, car line, after care, dinner, bath, book, bed, etc. Don’t get me wrong, there is value in teaching my son social norms and expectations, but it hasn’t stopped us from stopping on the way to school for hot cocoa and coffee on some mornings. We have been known to take a 20 minute pit stop at the park on the way home. Yes, sometimes we get to school a few minutes behind schedule or dinner gets started latter than expected; but truly, we were living in the moment.
I am treasuring my time with Elijah. I am treasuring him at four years old. He will never be four again. Some of the things he is learning or get him excited today, may be the norm or mundane in years to come. I am happy to watch (and in some cases be a part of) the moment now, today.
I know I won’t remember every detail, emotion, and circumstance as time goes by; but I hope to leverage this blog to capture words and pictures. I suspect Elijah is going to grow into his true self rather I rush from schedule to schedule, am stressed, or unhappy. So, I hope to continue to strive to live in the moment, documenting and photographing it along the way – not on a schedule, or because I have to, but to reflect on and cherish as time passes, even if I make a few mistakes along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment