Saturday, May 23, 2009

Elijah Excerpts: Mastering the English Language

This dry, beautiful Saturday, Elijah wanted me to know he has a "speckle."  "Hhhmm,"  I thought.  "What is he trying to tell me?"

When I asked him to show me what he was referring to, he pointed to the small dot on his left check, often referred to as a freckle.  "Oh, I see a freckle right there,"  I said.  He looked at me and said, "speckle freckle - that rhymes!"  

No longer was he intrigued with the brown dot on his face.  He simply began trying to rhyme additional words with speckle and freckle and ran into the next room.  My speculation (no pun intended) is Elijah knew the concept and what the word sounded like, regardless if it is called a speckle or a freckle.  And at the end of the day - either word works for me (and Elijah)!

No comments:

Post a Comment