Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday Lisa Michelle


One of my most favorite people in the universe is my cousin Lisa (our dads are brothers - two of four siblings).  Lisa and I are the the only two girls in our generation of Finnegans (amongst the 4 siblings that is).  Of all the cousins, Lisa is the second oldest, and I am next. 

Just because we're family doesn't mean we have to like each other.  Lisa and I have actually intentionally spent our own money to spend time with each other over the decades - so you know it is a choice versus an obligation.  

Alas, my employment (lack of) is preventing me from spending more money and time to share in her 40th birthday celebration in Mexico.  I'll get over this "practical" choice....maybe.  

My blogging journey continues to allow me opportunities to express myself in ways I may not have historically done so (especially more publicly on the world wide web).  As I have mentioned before, this period of unemployment has provided me a different outlook.  I know now more than ever, to enjoy each moment, because I may not get another moment; tell the people you love, you love them - whenever it crosses your mind.  It is the infamous..."nothing is promised..."

I have captured a few phrases and poems (one of my own included) to remind Lisa and share with anyone else reading that I love her dearly.  She has taught me things, made me laugh uncontrollably, been there for me when I was sick or in need, been a sounding board, supported me when she didn't agree with me, and most of all loved me unconditionally - consistently over the decades.    

*****

Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.

-Anthony Brandt


*****


Untitled

Cousins are many. 
Best friends are few. 
What a rare delight 
To find both in you. 

-Author Unknown


*****


Cousin to Cousin

We’re from the same shoot, 
The same family tree, 
Into this world we sprouted 
Call it destiny! 
It’s cousin to cousin 
A special thing 
A closeness to which we’re tied, 
And you’ve always been there 
To laugh with me 
Or even when I’ve cried. 
Anyway I think it’s fantastic 
That you were meant to be 
A part of my life, my cousin, 
You’ll always be special to me! 

-Author Unknown


*****


Ode to Lisa Michelle

“Whoever smelt it, delt it,” that IS what she said,

Cleary raised with two brothers, born and bred.

Even as a kid, she could be as mean as all crap,

I am reminded of the infamous slap.

I saw the Grand Canyon with my favorite cuz.

So many memories, so much love!

Matching dresses some Phoenix summers,

Years and oceans apart, what a bummer.

The loss of Grandma, we met again.

She is more than a cousin, more than a friend.

Singing “Happy Trails” up in the plane,

Can’t make this stuff up – there’s no one to blame.

Because of me, once a Stapleton layover,

Turned into an unexpected near stay-over.

Who could have predicted the “Great Escape,”

Lisa had boundaries, I thought that was great.

Some family relationships were amiss,

Thank goodness for Jeffy the masterful accomplice.

How about Kris’ wedding - draped in peach satin looking classy,

Running to the liquor store or cussing out the limo driver being sassy. 

When she was gonna do that thang with JB,

It didn’t come to pass, so she came to see me.

During that trip, gingerbread cookies were disgraced

As we added significant details to more than their face.

Over the years, we’ve done trips by plane and/or car

Depending on the destination - near or far.

Several have been to lil’ ol’ Texline

Visiting family, so generous and kind.

But who could forget the toilet-less trip,

The one where the Poole’s oreos were such a huge hit.

30 for her, we did it N’Awlins style.

30 for me, the Emerald Isle.

Living La Vida Loca was a moment in time,

Such great fun, one of a kind.

Each birthday filled with adventure and exploration,

And as Finnegans do, alcohol for the celebration.

Since that time, we both got hitched

She’s kept her’s and mine I’ve ditched.

When I made the move to Cali,

She was one of three family members who came to visit me.

Through thick and thin she is always there

No matter what the issue, she didn’t care.

She is and has been loved by many a friend -

But especially Andrew and Jen.

As she approaches the big 4-0,

There are a few things I want her to know.

Some ways we’re the same, others we’re not

From her beautiful hands, to the sausage fingers I’ve got.

Regardless, she is like a sister to me.

I appreciate she loves me for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I am so sad I won’t be there to celebrate her day

So, I thought I’d immortalize her in this memorable way.

This ode to Lisa barely scratches the surface

Among other things, I hope it didn’t make her boo and hiss.

But rather remind her the wonderful memories we’ve had

They weren’t all great, but they weren’t all bad.

Who knows what the next 10, 20, or 30 will bring

Guaranteed more memories amongst everything.

I love you Lisa Michelle.  Happy Birthday!


***************

1 comment:

  1. Kelley! You made me cry. What expression of love. Trippin (traveling that is) but these words are truly priceless!

    ReplyDelete