Sunday, June 7, 2009

Gifts

Some people ask, "Why me?" Others ask, "Why not me?"

No matter your issue or opportunity, your perspective on the reality you are faced with at that moment will undoubtedly affect your approach and outcome associated with the issue or opportunity. While I am not willingly signing up for not-so-great times, I have some fundamental beliefs that carry me through.

I have and continue to be blessed with family and friends that regularly give love and compassion just when I need it. Many times I didn't know how much I needed it until I accepted their gift. What I have strived to do is treat people the way I want to be treated and give when and how I can give. And quite honestly, there have been times I thought my own "account" was in the red, so I had nothing to give, but a kind deed or word impacted a friend or family member in a way I couldn't have imagined or even planned. So, no matter my current state, I try to live by "the golden rule." In all fairness, I have so much room for improvement, but awareness is priceless.

Mindful of the law of attraction, I continue to have people graciously say and do things for me, Elijah, and or for people I love and care about beyond measure. The people and/or their words and/or actions are genuine gifts. Sometimes they know in advance what a huge gift it is and give it freely. Other times, they don't realize what a phenomenal act they are performing. I may not be able to return the exact same gift to that specific person(s), but do try to "play it forward" by saying or doing things for others, again, as I would appreciate and value from someone else....no magic recipe.

This weekend, I was thankful for grandparents and friends. Elijah's grandparents paid for his swim lessons he started this weekend. It was not the financial act that meant so much (though appreciated); instead it meant more to me that we have people in our lives who gladly encourage and support him as he learns and grows into his own being. After swim lessons Saturday morning, Elijah's best bud's mom, offered to have Elijah over to their home so I could have a few hours to myself. I was so overwhelmed I literally couldn't respond at first. Then, when I hopped back in the car while he ran off to play without a care in the world, I teared up as Julie put her hand on my shoulder and told me to take my time and do something for me - HUGE gift. Then we enjoyed their great company and a wonderful dinner together as they graciously opened up their home to us.

I don't typically ask "Why me?" I tend to think, "Why not me?" No matter how you look at it, everything is possible when you have love and compassion in your life.


Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. ~Dalai Lama


No comments:

Post a Comment