


When I think back to August, September, and October 2008 it was kinda rough. I went through weeks of Elijah telling me daily things like: “I want to move back to California.” “This is not our house.” “I want my old bedroom.” “I miss the ocean.” “I miss Chloe.” “I miss Alyssa.” “Can we go to Auntie Allison’s house?” “How come we moved here (Colorado)?” “How come we can’t go back to our old house?” That is just a sampling of the comments and questions I consistently heard for more than three months. I had to gut-check myself a couple of times and remind myself why I made the choices I made (with no regrets I might add).
In addition to school, he started swim lessons at a local recreation center and gymnastics. Part of my strategy was to keep Elijah physically active to burn his energy, keep him busy, and make new friends. While he learned to swim with no floaties at three and ride his bike with no training wheels…it was still a longer transition than I had anticipated.
Labor Day weekend was nice. My dad had a big birthday bash to celebrate the big 6-0! Elijah got to see that side of my family celebrating something besides Christmas (which is what most of his memories have consisted of at his papa Terry's house since we lived in California). The really turning point was his birthday. The first weekend in October I had Elijah’s first birthday party at a nearby park…probably about 30 kids there for the Super Hero theme party…that was a turning point…a milestone. All of his grandparents (except his great grandpa Don) were there along with family friends and their kids and most of his classmates. His uncle Eric (who is a superhero in his eyes) was also there to add to the "specialness."
The following weekend in October, we participated in an annual 5K put on by his school. My mom and step dad joined us. By mid-October, Elijah’s personal and school life were starting to gel and cross over in ways he never experienced when we lived in California. He was excelling in physical, emotional, and social milestones. We could visit our local Target, Cold Stone, or swimming pool and he’d run into a school mate…he loved it.
Last, but not least was Halloween. Elijah's school didn't do costume parades or a 'harvest festival.' Instead, Elijah's teacher had a traditional "Crazy Hat Day." In addition to fun Autumn/Halloween activities, the pre-schoolers and kindergartners wore their hats as they paraded through the school. Elijah had a Dr. Seuss, Cat in the Hat. kind of hat with Halloween stickers on it (that Alyssa and Auntie Allison sent him). Crazy Hat Day was also the first time I volunteered in his class. He loved it.
The other cool thing about Halloween 2008 was I made his costume. Elijah wanted to be a scuba diver for Halloween. For some people's recollection, Elijah was a puppy dog when he was two; a shark when he was three; and now wanted to be a scuba diver. The ocean has always been a constant theme in this four and a half years of life. I must confess, I loved the fact he wanted be a scuba diver - BUT...have you ever tried to find a scuba diver costume for a three or four year old? I was willing to pay for it, if I could not find it. Yeah, well anyway, long story short, I made Elijah's costume...he was so thrilled! And you know what...I was proud too. He got to go trick or treating at Seagate's "Treat Street" and in his Papa Terry's neighborhood. He regularly got compliments on his unique costume. It was the oxygen tank that set it off - all made with mama's love!
As I look back to those transitional months, I am so proud of him. While many people told me how “resilient” kids are…Elijah is his own person and does things in his own way and own time. As adults, we don't like being lumped into generalities (at least I don't). I think adults often underestimate and devalue the evolution and emotions of little people…Elijah did great. I admit I underestimated the transition time…and it didn’t stop there. So, if you’re an Elijah Fan and want to get caught up, stay tuned to more “Elijah Excerpts,” coming soon to a blog near you.
No comments:
Post a Comment