"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today."
And here I sit... in change, or on the brink of change.
Like many people, I am personally aware that we are sometimes faced with events outside of our control. Our closest friends relocate; our employer downsizes; a family member is diagnosed with terminal illness; the love of your life no longer feels the way they once did; a loved one is taken by a "freak accident;" or, a fire destroys a home, leaving nothing but ashes. In any of those circumstances, there is a loss. Faced with loss, your heart can be seized by fear. Other times, change doesn't bring visible or tangible loss. Nevertheless, fear of the unknown can be equally paralyzing to the heart.
So, here I sit, confessing in private, electronically, "I am scared." Here I sit drawing into myself, contracting my heart in an effort to protect myself. After all, isn't that human nature? Fight or flight? And yet... I am trying to step outside of myself. I am trying to chisel away at the fear with the knowledge and experience that proves when I expand my heart and the possibilities (versus contract), I learn; I grow.
I could harden my heart to ensure it is never hurt again. It's "safer." It's easier... the harder it is, the impact of the heaviest blows can't penetrate my priceless heart. Or, I could take the riskier and harder approach. I could soften my heart to receive new beginnings. Uggh! I once read, "clarity is the bedrock of an honest life." Too cliche? Too dramatic?
There is no "drama" to speak of... life is unfolding smoothly, without heightened adrenaline, as I turn within to define me - who I am and who I want to be... and here I sit... in the midst of change...continuing, inevitable change.
~ KJ
No comments:
Post a Comment